K-State Salina Open House 2014
Saturday, April 5 | 9 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Where your story meets ours
Whether you’re a Kansas State University Salina graduate or a Wildcat supporter in the community, we’d love for you to experience our campus in a completely different way! Open House is an opportunity for K-State Salina to showcase its innovative education, dedicated students and strategies for the future. More than 40 booths will be on display across campus exhibiting student clubs and organizations, class projects, academic information and fun, interactive demonstrations. Come learn more about life on the K-State Salina campus and share with us your story as well!
The history on Centennial Road
In order to celebrate our present, we first want you to know about our past. There is almost 50 years worth of tradition on this campus on Centennial Road. In 1965, the real estate transformed from an Air Force base into Schilling Institute where it offered the first computer science degree in the state. Four years later it was renamed Kansas Technical Institute and then in 1988 it was converted into Kansas College of Technology. With the approval of Governor Joan Finney, the campus officially became Kansas State University Salina in 1991. Currently we offer 16 academic programs from professional pilot and airport management to social work and personal financial planning, and there are more than 40 clubs and organizations for students to experience.
Ignite your purple pride
K-State Salina’s Open House is a family friendly event dedicated to education, entertainment and energizing the Wildcat spirit! These are just a few examples of the fun you’re going to have:
- Willie the Wildcat - Come give Willie a hug and a high-five! He'll be on campus from 10 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- Hot Air Balloon Rides - Weather permitting, the Hot Air Balloon Club will provide tethered rides for $10 per person.
- Flight Team Pancake Breakfast - Start your Open House experience off right with a pancake breakfast from 7:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. courtesy of K-State Salina's Flight Team. Also, stay out on the ramp and take a look at some of the university's aircraft as well as a Cessna business jet.
- Party with Pups - Play with a furry friend and learn about pet care from K-State Salina’s BARK club.
- Melts in Your Mouth, Not in Your Hand - Assist computer systems technology students in activating a robotic M&M dispenser designed and built as a class project.
- Flying the Garmin Glass Cockpit - Take to the skies with the aviation department in an airplane simulator using Garmin’s Glass Cockpit with Synthetic Vision; you will feel like you’re operating a Cessna 172.
- Robot Automation - Dance with a robot or watch it perform a variety of tasks depending on your commands.
- Bottle Rocket Build and Launch - Decorate your own two-liter bottle rocket and with the help of our physics students, pump it up and see how far it launches.
- Chemistry Demos - Watch in wonderment as K-State Salina’s chemistry students demonstrate some of their fascinating class projects.
- Airplane Toss - Using a rubber band airplane at the Alpha ETA Rho booth, toss it towards a target and see how many times you can get a bull’s-eye.
- UAS Club - Check out the fleet of unmanned aircraft from our UAS program, one of the best in the nation.
- Vehicle Displays - Examine a solar boat, electric car and Baja car from K-State Salina’s Solar Boat/Car Club and the Baja SAE Club, with possible vehicle demonstrations.